How to make a waterpipe out of a bottle?
- Diamond drill bit
- Grommets (2)
- Glass Downstem
- Glass Bowl
- Glass tube (mouthpiece)
For those that like to do it themselves, these instructions will help you create a smoking (or vaping) device that is on par with some of the more expensive glass pieces worth hundreds of dollars. For this example, we will use a Rolling Rock beer bottle and a GBD DIY Kit“top feed with mouthpiece” delivery system (this is the ideal system imo).
Step 1: Select bottle and measure for downstem.
- Measure the length from top of bottle to the bottom.
- Measure the ID (inner diameter) of the top bottle opening (in millimeters if possible). This is important because each bottle opening may vary and some downstems may not match).
- Order the correct style and length downstem from here: GBD DIY Kit
Step 2: Safely drill hole
When you receive the GBD DIY Kit, drill a hole into the slanted part of the bottle (for mouthpiece).
Instructions (wear safety goggles, gloves, and mask)
- Hold the bottle securely in submerged or running water.
- Rev up the drill to a medium/high speed so when you make contact it will cut into the bottle immediately.
- Apply slight pressure when drilling and go steady until you slowly punch thru.
- Rinse out the bottle a few times.
Step 3: Apply Grommets to bottle
- Slip on a grommet into the hole you just made and insert glass mouthpiece using a gentle twisting motion.
- Slide the other grommet up to the top of downstem and then slide downstem into the top of the bottle.
- Secure downstem by pressing down gently using a twisting motion.
- Check for air leaks by covering top opening of downstem and blowing into the mouthpiece.
Step 4: Take a toke
- Insert bowl
- Take a toke
- Pull bowl and clear chamber